Teaming with The Brooklyn Studio, MARTOS provided structural engineering design services for this three-story, 5,280-square-foot Neo-Federal rowhouse located in Brooklyn’s Park Slope Historic District. Built circa 1910, the challenge was to preserve the architectural and historic integrity of this home while updating it for modern use. The interior restoration included relocation, or “swapping” of the kitchen and dining room areas and the addition of curved windows to facilitate a seamless transition between the dining room and the adjacent garden, refurbishment of the existing winding staircase/lightwell, and the installation of modern millwork in twenty locations throughout the house. A traditional bay window, which had large mullions and small panes was replaced with modern curvilinear panes that extend from floor to ceiling.
Exterior renovations included the restoration of the stone stoop and vestibule, re-pointing the brick masonry, refurbishment of the ironwork, restoration of the wood cornice, replacement of a degraded cast stone coping at the parapet, and addition of new windows in the original masonry openings.